Makes 6 servings.
Canola oil cooking spray
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 ounces whole-wheat rotelle pasta
1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (2 1/2 ounces) sharp light (50 percent) cheddar cheese
1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat 6-cup baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese to breadcrumbs, and toss to combine. Add oil, and using your fingers, toss to coat breadcrumbs. Set mixture aside.
- In large pot, boil 4 quarts of water. Add pasta and cook for 10 minutes, until slightly al dente. Drain in colander, and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, in microwave or small saucepan, heat milk until it steams, and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook for 1 minute, whisking slowly.
- Off heat, gradually add milk while whisking to avoid lumps. Return pot to medium-high heat, and simmer sauce until it thickens to consistency of stirred yogurt, about 3 minutes.
- Add cheddar cheese, remaining Parmesan cheese, pumpkin, mustard, black and cayenne peppers, and nutmeg, and stir until cheddar melts. Mix in cooked pasta.
- Spread mac and cheese in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs over top.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 289 calories, 9g total fat (4g saturated fat), 37g carbohydrates, 17g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 307mg sodium.