Makes 10 servings.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk, 1% fat
1 large egg
1/4 cup soft tub margarine
1 teaspoon vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine, and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an 8-by-8-inch greased baking dish. Cool.
- Cut into 10 squares and serve.
Serving size: 1 square. Amount per serving: 178 calories, 6g total fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 94mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.