Makes 4 servings.
4 large ears yellow sweet corn on the cob, enough to yield at least 2 1/2 cups cut, roasted corn
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 cups finely chopped ripe tomato
1 1/2 jalapeño pepper (seeds removed), finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper, to taste
- Inspect corn on the cob and remove a few outer leaves and as much silk as possible without completely removing husk.
- Wash and place on baking sheet. Loosely cover corn with aluminum foil.
- Bake on the middle rack in a preheated 375-degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Once corn is roasted, remove from oven and allow corn to cool.
- Peel ears, removing all silk. If desired, place ears over an open flame (grill or gas stove). Turn often, until somewhat colored.
- Cool completely and cut kernels from ear. Corn should measure at least 2 1/2 cups.
- Combine corn with chopped onion, tomato, jalapeño pepper and cilantro.
- Add olive oil and mix well.
- Add lime juice and cumin to taste; then stir in salt and ground pepper.
- Cover and chill, allowing flavor to blend for about 15 minutes or more.
This recipe may be made in advance but is best served the same day.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Amount per serving: 204 calories, 6.6g total fat (1.5g saturated fat), 31g carbohydrates, 6g protein, 8g dietary fiber, 88mg sodium.