Makes 8 servings.
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper, or to taste
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 cups whole, unblanched almonds
Canola oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine thyme, salt, pepper and oil. Set aside.
- Place nuts in a medium bowl. While tossing with fork, lightly spray with canola oil so all surfaces are coated.
- Lightly coat baking sheet with canola oil spray.
- Turn nuts onto sheet and spread evenly across surface.
- Place baking sheet in center of the oven. Toast until nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Occasionally, shake pan to shift nuts and prevent scorching. (Be careful not to let nuts get too dark, or they'll taste burned.)
- Remove from oven, and immediately add hot nuts to spice mixture. Stir for a few minutes to coat the nuts thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nuts can be sealed and stored for up to 2 weeks. Reheat in a hot oven.
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe. Amount per serving: 223 calories, 19g total fat (1g saturated fat), 7g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 235mg sodium.