Makes 4 servings.
3 cups whole-wheat Italian bread (4 ounces), in 1-inch cubes
1 garlic clove, halved lengthwise
3 very ripe plum tomatoes
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
3 cups romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch strips
3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, optional
3 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Spread cubed bread in single layer on baking sheet, and let sit until surface feels dry on most sides, or cubes are firm but not stale-hard, 2 to 6 hours.
- Rub salad bowl, preferably wood or bamboo, liberally with cut side of half a garlic clove. Reserve the other garlic half for another use.
- Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarter-wedges, then cut crosswise into chunky pieces. Place tomatoes and any juice in prepared bowl.
- Add celery, onion and bread cubes. Arrange lettuce over chopped vegetables. Sprinkle on parsley, if using.
- For dressing, whisk vinegar, salt and sugar in small bowl until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Add oregano and 3 to 4 grinds of pepper. Whisk in oil.
- At table, pour dressing over salad and toss until well-coated and any extra dressing pools in bottom of bowl.
- Divide salad among 4 wide, shallow bowls, including liquid from bottom of salad bowl.
Serving size: 1/4 of recipe. Amount per serving: 158 calories, 8g total fat (1g saturated fat), 20g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 4g dietary fiber, 281mg sodium.