Makes 6 servings.
1 cup frozen or fresh cherries (tart or sweet), pitted
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 ounces fresh whole-wheat bread, cubed (about 3 cups)
3/4 cup low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Canola oil cooking spray
1 ounce sliced almonds
1 teaspoon powdered sugar, garnish
- Combine cherries, berries, sugar and cinnamon in mixing bowl.
- Stir well to coat berries; add bread cubes.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla and salt.
- Pour egg/milk mixture over berry/bread mixture and stir to coat bread thoroughly.
- Let mixture stand for 15 to 30 minutes to enable ingredients to combine and the bread to soak up the egg mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch baking dish.
- Pour pudding mixture into baking dish.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and evenly distribute almonds over pudding.
- Return to oven and continue baking until pudding starts to set, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Optional fruit sauce topping
1 pound (16-ounce) bag frozen unsweetened mixed berries
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Thaw berries; save drained juice and mix with cornstarch.
- Cook berries over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add juice mixture to berries and heat until thickened.
- Serve over or alongside pudding.
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe. Amount per serving: 183 calories, 5g total fat (1g saturated fat), 27g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 3.5g dietary fiber, 248mg sodium.