Dine wisely with diabetes during the holidays
Diabetes: 5 tips for healthy holiday eating
1. Balance carbs. If you want to enjoy a sweet treat, cut back on other carbohydrates—such as potatoes or bread.
2. Stay steady. As much as possible, stick to your usual meal times to keep your blood sugar level stable.
3. Think small. No food is off-limits. Take a small serving of a holiday favorite, and savor each bite.
4. Keep eating. Don't skip a meal so you can indulge later on—it will be harder to manage your blood sugar if you do.
5. Rest up. A good night's sleep will help you resist chowing down on high-fat, high-sugar foods.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.