Quinoa and black bean salad
Makes 6 servings.
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (dried cilantro seeds)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
2 medium scallions, minced
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 fresh green chiles (or to taste), minced
Black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water.
- In a saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil. Add the quinoa. Return to boil; then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cilantro and scallions in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine black beans and chopped vegetables. Set aside.
- Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients, including black pepper (if using), and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 208 calories, 5g total fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 34g carbohydrates, 9g protein, 7g dietary fiber, 284mg sodium.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.