Braised cod with leeks
Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups leeks, split lengthwise, sliced thin and rinsed well
3 medium carrots, rinsed, peeled and cut into thin sticks
4 new (red) potatoes, rinsed and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick circles
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
12 ounces of cod fillet, cut into 4 portions (3 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add leeks and carrots, and cook gently for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add potatoes, chicken broth, parsley, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer gently until the vegetables are just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add cod fillet portions, and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Continue cooking over low heat for an additional 5 minutes or until the fish is white and flakes easily with a fork in the thickest part (to a minimum internal temperature of 145 degrees).
- Serve each cod fillet portion with 1 1/2 cups broth and vegetables.
Serving size: 3 ounces cod, 1 1/2 cups broth and vegetables. Amount per serving: 158 calories, 4g total fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 13g carbohydrates, 17g protein, 3g dietary fiber, 437mg sodium.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.