Brussels sprout slaw with cranberries and walnuts
Makes 8 servings.
3/4 pound Brussels sprouts
1 Fuji or Gala apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice*
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
*If Meyer lemons are not available, use 1/4 cup regular fresh lemon juice or juice from 2 large lemons.
- Trim bottom from sprouts, and remove any loose or bruised leaves.
- Place shredding disc or fine slicing disc in food processor, and using feeder tube, gradually shred Brussels sprouts; there will be about 4 1/2 cups. Transfer shredded sprouts to mixing bowl.
- Add apple, cranberries, walnuts, salt, pepper and lemon juice, and stir with a fork to combine. Add oil and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate slaw for 1 to 3 hours or overnight for flavors to marinate.
- Re-stir before serving. This slaw is best served within 24 hours.
Serving size: 1/8 recipe. Amount per serving: 120 calories, 7g fat (0.5g saturated fat), 15g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 3g fiber, 135mg sodium.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.