Makes 9 servings.
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
14 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa
Nonstick cooking spray
1 medium celery stalk, chopped
2 small onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small bunch green onions, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 14 1/2 -ounce can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
4 cups water
2 cubes of low-sodium chicken bouillon
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Cut the chicken breasts and kielbasa into 1-inch chunks.
- Spray a medium-sized pan with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the kielbasa and chicken over medium heat and remove from the pan.
- Add the celery, onions, garlic, green onions, bell pepper and diced tomatoes to the same pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Put the cooked meat back into the pot. Add the rice, water, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaf and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 50 minutes* or until the water is evaporated and chicken is cooked (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees).
- Stir in parsley and serve warm.
*Instant rice will take less time.
Serving size: 1 cup. Amount per serving: 250 calories, 4g total fat (1g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 31g carbohydrates, 22g protein, 5g dietary fiber, 531mg sodium.
This information is provided for educational purposes only. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare providers regarding medical care or treatment, as recommendations, services or resources are not a substitute for the advice or recommendation of an individual's physician or healthcare provider. Services or treatment options may not be covered under an individual's particular health plan.